felix-dev mailing list archives

From "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>
Subject Re: Exported JRE packages
Date Wed, 07 Jun 2006 07:51:52 GMT
Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> Gang,
> AFAICT, Felix only exports the following packages from the JRE;
> javax.swing
> javax.swing.plaf
> javax.swing.event
> javax.swing.table
> javax.swing.border
> javax.swing.tree
> javax.swing.text
> org.w3c.dom
> org.xml.sax
> javax.xml.parsers
> javax.imageio
> whereas Equinox exports an enormous list (not suitable to paste in here) of
> most things under the JDK1.4 official packages.
> Is there any reason for the two different approaches? Performance? Memory?

No real reason. Just laziness. :-)

The current set of package is ones that are needed by existing Felix

I think there was a little bit of discussion about this before, but what
we need is either:

   1. Some way to auto-generate this list.
   2. Different sets of manually created JRE packages and we just choose
      the right one based on the platform.

We can't just have one set of exported packages, since it will change
based on the JRE platform...unless we adopt a lowest common denominator
set of packages, would might be reasonable too.

-> richard

View raw message