felix-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: [Maven Plugin] Additional fixes...
Date Fri, 02 Jun 2006 03:47:52 GMT
On Friday 02 June 2006 00:07, Jeff McAffer wrote:

> Can you express a clear bi-directional mapping of BSN and version onto
> groupId, artifactId, version and ultimate JAR name?

where <groupId> has the dots exchanged for slashes to map into the file
<classifier> refers to non versioning subtypes, e.g. javadocs, source or
platform. This is used indirectly by the plugins producing these associated
or derived types of the artifact.

> Is it true that all '.' in groupIds are converted to '/' (i.e., dirs) in
> the Maven repo?

Yes, in Maven2.

> Is this true for '.' in the artifactId?

No. The dots in artifactIDs are kept.

> In any event, the issues of robustness and confusion remain.  For example,
> take a look at
>         http://www.ibiblio.org/maven2/org/eclipse/equinox/osgi/3.1.1/
> You will see that it contains osgi-3.1.1.jar.  This is what we named as
> org.eclipse.osgi_3.1.1.jar.  Notice that the groupId does not match the
> BSN and the JAR has been renamed.  So there is ambiguity in the groupId
> (perhaps the person who did this just did it wrong?).  The JAR itself has
> a nice simple name (osgi-3.1.1.jar) but this is hardly unique.  So, now
> when you go to ship a product you have to replicate the dir structure or
> do other things to avoid collisions.

Personally, I make the "lib/" dir the "<root>" and replicate the structure.
Difficult? Not found it troublesome yet, but always worked with tools that
can deal with it. ;o)

You are saying that we are not in control of the deployment scenarios, and we
have to adopt to other people's wishes and work patterns.

I have only come across this once, but in that case the requirement was to be
compatible with Solaris pkg system, automatic re-installs, and stepping
backwards and forwards in versioning. Very heavy, and this discussion would
have no effect one way or the other. All other cases; "here is the tar, zip,
installer or whatever, and read the INSTALL doc"... has been more than

Perhaps you could provide a more elaborate usecase of where this enforcement

Also, an interesting note is that Linux manages to stick 2400 (my system)
files from different sources into /usr/bin ... Why are we so concerned, and
they are not?

View raw message