felix-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff McAffer <Jeff_McAf...@ca.ibm.com>
Subject Re: [Maven Plugin] Additional fixes...
Date Tue, 30 May 2006 02:00:23 GMT
Niclas Hedhman <hedhman@gmail.com> wrote on 05/29/2006 03:23:17 AM:
> Any suggestions on how we should deal with Maven vs Eclipse naming?? Do
we
> need to care?

IMHO we do need to care.  This is a case of less is more.  The Eclipse
community has developed a naming convention for its bundle JARs.  As far
as I know, Maven does not have a convention since it covers a very wide
spectrum of usecases.  In the particular case of Felix bundle JARs you are
currently formulating your convention.  For reasons outlined in another
post and considering value of presenting just one naming convention to the
consumers of OSGi technology I suggest that Felix use the same approach as
is used in Eclipse.  Of course I am biased here but my heart is really
with the consumers on this.  Less is more.  FQDN_version.jar is widely
used, simple to describe, easy to understand and implement.

Jeff