felix-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff McAffer <Jeff_McAf...@ca.ibm.com>
Subject Re: JAR file naming (was Re: [Maven Plugin] Additional fixes...)
Date Tue, 30 May 2006 13:39:33 GMT
"Richard S. Hall" <heavy@ungoverned.org> wrote on 05/30/2006 03:18:08 AM:

> Interestingly enough, I just spent some time poking about the M2 repo on

> ibiblio. If Felix were to adopt the FQDN approach for its libs, it
> appears that we would be the only project in Apache doing so. On the
> other hand, it does seem to be a semi-standard practice to prefix with
> the project name, e.g., "felix-".
>
> So, apparently everyone else but Eclipse is doing it incorrectly. ;-)

Finally, the truth well out! ;-)  Seriously, prefixing with "felix"
(whatever) would take care of most (but not all) of the collision
concerns.  The downside is that the approach is more complicated.  It
looks easy but how would you write down a guideline for newbies to follow.
 Something like "prefix your artifact id with your project name" might
work.  In cases where there are nested (sub) projects it is less clear.
For example, we often have "core" and "ui" teams or "platform" sub
projects in some "foo" project.  Are those bundles then "foo.xxx",
"foo.core.xxx" or "foo.platform.core.xxx"?  Since the guideline is open to
interpretation it is not a very strong convention.  The FQDN convention is
simple, clear and unambiguous.  Note that in the examples here all that is
really saved is the "org.apache" part of the name.

To be clear, I fully agree that at a technical level the name of the JAR
does not matter. However, quite a bit of software engineering is lowering
bars to understanding and entry.  Simple and consistent practices are key
to promoting this.

> In truth, I can live with the long JAR file names. However, I would like

> to get rid of the long names in the repository. Yet however, I am told
> that the directory name should really match the artifactId for Maven.
> Yet another however, if we change the artifactId then the name of the
> JAR file gets shorten. Thus, we have to live with really long directory
> names in the repo, which is the only thing I would like to change. :-o

I'm not that familiar with how Maven works or where people are exposed to
repo directory names.  I do feel however that tools should support and
encourage best practices.  Perhaps Maven has never been faced with this
kind of usecase and needs to be updated to better support it.

Jeff