felix-dev mailing list archives

From "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>
Subject iPOJO: New subproject contribution
Date Fri, 12 May 2006 15:42:24 GMT
Hello everyone,

I am happy to announce a new contribution to Felix, called iPOJO. This
is part of the PhD work from Clement Escoffier with whom I work. We are
exploring how to simplify programming in dynamic environments like OSGi.

In some ways, iPOJO can be seen as Service Binder++ or Declarative
Services++, but this is really only the first step since we want to
investigate more sophisticated dynamic service composition mechanisms.
Further, the approach is completely different, employing byte code
manipulation that enables us to do some interesting things that are not
possible with these other approaches, such as significantly limiting the
amount of metadata required or having dynamic service properties as two
examples.

Clement has done a great job with this so far, but it is still in its
early stages. Regardless, it is already quite usable and useful. Refer
to Clement's home page for more details:

    http://www-adele.imag.fr/~escoffie/dev/ipojo/

The first link on the above page is a simple tutorial and service
component model overview. Expect there to be issues, but feedback is
welcome.

iPOJO includes a modified version of Peter Kriens' contribution to our
OSGi plugin, which greatly simplifies creating bundles. [Side note: we
are still waiting for Apache to receive Peter's ICLA, I refaxed again
and will mail it.]

Regarding iPOJO's paperwork, we have both CCLA and ICLA on file, so we
are basically ready to go.

Let us know what you think.

-> richard