felix-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: [Maven Plugin] Additional fixes...
Date Tue, 30 May 2006 07:00:53 GMT
On Tuesday 30 May 2006 10:00, Jeff McAffer wrote:

> Niclas Hedhman <hedhman@gmail.com> wrote on 05/29/2006 03:23:17 AM:
> > Any suggestions on how we should deal with Maven vs Eclipse naming?? Do
> > we need to care?

The other post was excellent, but...

> IMHO we do need to care.  This is a case of less is more.  The Eclipse
> community has developed a naming convention for its bundle JARs.  As far
> as I know, Maven does not have a convention since it covers a very wide
> spectrum of usecases.

There are a few restrictions imposed by Maven.

 * ArtifactID WILL become part of the filename together with Version and Type.
   <finalname> is NOT respected for repository uploads. This would require the
   FQDN style to use the FQDN in both group and artifact, generally
   discouraged by the Maven peeps, but totally doable.

 * Versions are appended to filename (as well as being part of the directory
   structure) with a DASH. Underscore is not possible.

 * Versions during development contains -SNAPSHOT, which Equinox does not like
   anywhere, and OSGi doesn't like in its own versioning (handled by plugin).

So, from my PoV it seems that Eclipse vs Maven is fairly incompatible on this
point, and I can only see three ways out;

 * Equinox makes concessions to support Maven's style.

 * Maven makes concessions to support Equinox's style.

 * We make a program that takes the published Maven artifacts, rename and
   republish to an Eclipse Update site, and possibly an OBR as well.

Any thoughts on that?

View raw message