felix-dev mailing list archives

From Nick_Hofst...@inventivedesigners.com
Subject Re: Fixed bug in class loading
Date Tue, 11 Apr 2006 08:55:18 GMT

"Richard S. Hall" <heavy@ungoverned.org> wrote on 11/04/2006 10:20:28:

> Nick_Hofstede@inventivedesigners.com wrote:
> > I know the equinox (eclipse.osgi) implementation has a few more
> > they delegate (which are different depending on the jvm version).
> > It looks like a sane list to me. It might be interesting to have look
> > it.
> >
> > Look for the *.profile files in the following directory:
> > http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/org.eclipse.osgi/
> These profiles essentially delegate everything, so I would not consider
> that sane. :-)
> I am sure there is room for a big debate here, but delegating nearly
> everything on the class path by default just does not seem like the best
> approach to me. I would rather be conservative and let other people
> loosen it for their own purposes, then to just ship with it nearly wide
> open.

Fair enough, it's just that if you need classes from those packages you'll
be adding them sooner or later due to them being non-modular. It might save
people some head-scratching if classes we know don't play nice are
delegated out of the box (like we're about to do with sun.* and com.sun.*).
On the other hand, head-scratching might lead to a better understanding of
the problems and solutions (In which case we might not want to add sun.*
and com.sun.*).
Also, I don't think people are going to write modular bundles/classes and
put them in any of the specified packages, so adding them shouldn't cause
too much problems.

To be clear, this is not an important issue for me, I'm just pointing out
what other people did and possibly why in this regard.

With kind regards,

Nick Hofstede

Inventive Designers' Email Disclaimer:

View raw message