felix-dev mailing list archives

From "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>
Subject Re: Fixed bug in class loading
Date Tue, 11 Apr 2006 14:24:09 GMT
Thomas Watson wrote:
> I'm not suggesting that Felix cannot overcome these issues.
> I'm sure there will be a response to this note debating the
> importance of the issues above vs correct boot delegation
> behavior.  That is fine, it is a debate the Felix community
> should have.  I'm just summarizing how the debate went in
> Equinox and what the outcome was.

I essentially agree and/or understand everything Tom has said,
especially since he and I have spent a lot of time in person and in IM
talking about this very topic.

I do not want to say that Felix will solve all of these issues, because
clearly it won't. The main difference in the two situations is that
Equinox was being bundled as part of Eclipse which put additional and
heavy constraints on the default configuration of the OSGi framework.

The default configuration of an OSGi framework embedded inside of a
major application is not necessarily going to be the same default
configuration you will want for a stand-alone distribution of an OSGi

-> richard

View raw message