felix-dev mailing list archives

From "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>
Subject Re: Fixed bug in class loading
Date Mon, 10 Apr 2006 10:21:15 GMT
John E. Conlon wrote:
> As you mentioned after the change I had to edit my bundle Import-Package
> headers to get bundles to resolve without NoClassDefFoundErrors.
> Now the tough part about this was that I had to not only import all the
> javax classes I was using but also the sun, and even the com.sun
> packages in the imports as well.  Then I had to add the various
> javax.xxx, sun.xxx and com.sun.xxx packages to the config.properties
> file's org.osgi.framework.system.packages property as well.

I wanted to follow up on this, just to make sure I understand the
situation. Are you actually using sun.* and com.sun.* classes directly
in your code? Or are you referring to a situation where you are running
into the bug I mentioned where your bundle does not directly use these
classes but you are still getting a class loading error?

I just want to make sure I understand the situation. If you are using
them directly, I guess I could also add that this is risky business
depending on Sun impl classes. :-)

> Now I must confess that reading the classloading part of the OSGi spec
> makes my eyes glaze over, but I did notice section 3.8.3 discussion of
> parent delegation. It talks about a bootdelegation property that can add
> packages to the parent classloader like this:
>
> property org.osgi.framework.bootdelegation=sun.*,com.sun.*
>
> Maybe I am paranoid but I feel uncomfortable doing anything (even
> declaring imports in bundles) with the sun and com.sun packages. Could
> the bootdelegation property eventually come to the rescue?

I have the boot delegation property working in my workspace...I will try
to test it a little more to make sure that it appears to be working and
I will commit it in the next couple of hours.

-> richard