felix-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Offermans <marcel.offerm...@luminis.nl>
Subject Updating and mixing R3 and R4 bundles and Bundle-SymbolicName
Date Tue, 21 Mar 2006 13:42:03 GMT
There are a couple of scenarios that I'd like to discuss that have to do
with updating bundles and mixing R3 and R4. Whilst I agree some of them
are a bit theoretical, I'd like to get your opinions on how to deal with
them (best practices if you wish). These issues are related to the

When talking about Bundle-SymbolicName, the spec (3.5.2) says:
The installation of a bundle with a Bundle-SymbolicName and
Bundle-Version identical to an existing bundle must fail.

Furthermore, on bundle validity the spec (3.11) says (amongst other things):
Updating a bundle to a bundle that has the same symbolic name and
version as another installed bundle [causes a bundle to fail].

Scenario 1:
Updating an R4 bundle with symbolic name A to one with symbolic name B.
Provided B (with the same version) does not exist yet, this should not
fail, although for me it is strange to change the symbolic name in an

Scenario 2:
Updating an R3 bundle to an R4 bundle.
Provided the symbolic name and version of the R4 bundle does not fail,
this should be possible.

Scenario 3:
Updating an R4 bundle to an R3 bundle.
This should be possible, but might break dependencies that are using the
symbolic name.

Any comments on this?

Greetings, Marcel

View raw message