felix-dev mailing list archives

From "John E. Conlon" <jcon...@verticon.com>
Subject RE: ESB vs. OSGi
Date Fri, 10 Mar 2006 16:36:19 GMT
On Fri, 2006-03-10 at 09:48 -0500, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Rob Walker wrote:

> > > What are the similarities and differences between sculpture
> > > and Lego?  Between a house and wood?  Between a University
> > > and buildings?  Between Java and an Office Suite?
>
> > Sorry Noel - but that is rude and unhelpful. You may believe this
> > question was irrelevant or not sensible, but that doesn't mean that
> > others would - nor does it mean it deserves anything other than a
> > curteous response.
>
> I'm sorry if you took it that way, but if you look at both my reply and Ersin Er's response
to it, I believe that he understood it in the intended spirit.

> Each of my examples *did* have a connection.  In all cases, one is a general purpose
item that could be, but need not be, part of the construction of the other.  In the same manner,
an ESB is a concept for unified messaging systems.  OSGi is a system for building and managing
applications built out of pluggable (Java) packages.  I might well use OSGi in the development
of an ESB.  Or not.  An ESB can be made in many ways, and OSGi can be used as the foundation
of many applications.

> So that is how I would first look at the similarities and differences, but that might
not be the same sorts of categories being seen by Ersin.  There are many ways to categorize
things, and those will determine how we see them as similar or dissimilar.  In his reply to
me, he started to identify more specifically what he was getting at, e.g., both have some
ostensibly related concepts such as service registeration.  Once we identify such concepts,
we can consider how each might approach those conceptual areas in similar and different manners.
 That will be easier for OSGi, since it actually has a specification, whereas an ESB is really
a concept, without nearly as fixed a form.

> 	--- Noel

The last relationship of the sequence is reversed - it should be
'Between an Office Suite and Java'

- Albertus Magnus;-)