felix-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff McAffer <Jeff_McAf...@ca.ibm.com>
Subject using Apache libs in OSGi
Date Sun, 29 Jan 2006 16:59:50 GMT
This is actually a generic question but since there is so much cool stuff
at Apache and this is an Apache OSGi community...

I recently wanted to play with JXpath from Apache Commons.  Of course, I
wanted to do this in OSGi so bundles were needed.  Applying all the tools
at hand I got the various downloads, generated bundles, discovered what I
don't have and applied this recursively until I had acquired several
archives, spelunked, extracted bits and pieces and finally come up with
something that may actually run.

The point?  This is way too hard and will drive folks away from using OSGi
or towards just including all of what they need in their own bundles.
Neither option is attractive.

So I am curious if there is much of a movement in Apache to promote the
generation/inclusion of OSGi metadata in the output JARs (in particular
the Commons stuff).  You can get some of this info by reading the various
property files but it is still alot of error prone work.

In addition, many of the downloads I got were distribution zips rather
then runnable JARs.  Even if the JARs were in fact bundles, consumers
still have to get the zip, dissect and pour over the manifests to ensure
they have the right stuff.  Making the actual runnable bundles available
directly in Maven, OBR2, ... would make this much easier.  It has the nice
effect that it encourages producer communities to look at their dependency
structure in a more explicit way and hopefully rationalize it.

Jeff