felix-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: using Apache libs in OSGi
Date Mon, 30 Jan 2006 14:03:02 GMT
Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> On Monday 30 January 2006 03:06, Jeff McAffer wrote:
>
>> We've had some discussions with the Maven folks about generating
>> manifests.  This would be a great start.
>>

> Indeed.
>
>> The sort of repository story
>> that is surfacing with Maven, OBR2 and the Eclipse update sites will also
>> help alot.  Any ideas on how to push these and gain momentum?

> the publication of ASF artifacts, i.e. the jars of classes which Maven and
> other systems downloads, typically from mirrors.
>
> Jakarta Commons (which I understand you were talking about) is a "water
> cooler" at ASF java side, so by approaching them with a "We need this in your
> stuff, it won't affect anyone, and we will maintain it..." should be enough
> to get that done.
>
> For other communities the mileage may vary. Aaron has now indicated that
> Excalibur wants to support OSGi, and hopefully we can approach others and get
> similar commitment.

Honestly, I don't think you will obtain long-term commitment from
communities that currently don't care about OSGi (although they
certainly miss something). So IMO, the way to go is to use the Maven 2
repo (more communities care about it) and the dependency information it
contains to generate the bundle.

But isn't this actually the purpose of the maven-osgi plugin (haven't
looked at it)?

Sylvain