felix-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Neubauer <pe...@neubauer.se>
Subject Re: Contribution of the dependency manager to Feli
Date Mon, 30 Jan 2006 19:00:10 GMT
Hi John,

On Monday 30 January 2006 16:49, John E. Conlon wrote:
> Adding the configuration dependencies are a big plus. But have you
> considered making the signature more generic?
Mmmh the question is what you want to do with this. We were thinking that in
90% of the cases you are using primitives and Strings in the configuration,
since if you are configuring with objects (e.g. serialized instances etc) you
probably will be better off using some other mechanism like service
dependencies etc.

So, we thought a reasonable help is to avoid the casts you usually have. OTOH
you can always retrieve the underlying Dictionary with
configuration.toDictionary().

Not sure that is the best approach, but we have been using the Avalon/DPML
Parameters API before and it works very well.

Since we put this out, of course feel free to change this if there are any big
reasons for getting rid of the dependencies you mention.

WDYT?

/peter