felix-dev mailing list archives

From "John E. Conlon" <jcon...@verticon.com>
Subject Re: Using OSGi as a provisioning and management platform for distributed components.
Date Fri, 20 Jan 2006 15:44:40 GMT
IMHO I think the Initial Provisioning Service would provide the standard
infrastructure to do this.

> > When each node starts up, it contacts to the configuration and component
> > (bundle) repository and pulls its required components on the fly.

Alternately  if one were to use the Provisioning Service...when each
node boots up it starts the Provisioning Service which then retrieves
the Provisioning Zip pointed to by a preconfigured URL. This Zip
contains configuration information, bundles, or references to additional
Provisioning Zips. It also specifies which bundle to start.
This start up bundle is considered a management agent. A management
agent could be anything a provider would like. When the management agent
starts up it looks for the Provisioning Service. The Provisioning
Service Interface than provides all the hooks to control and restart the
process. It's a chicken and egg kind of thing. Provisioning starts the
management agent and then exposes itself to its management agent child.
In this case it could install bundles from repositories or bring in
other management agents. It could be autonomous or be under the control
of the local or remote operator. (Or a combination.) Control can also be
passed off from one operator to the next.
> If the
> > node's profile changes, the repository notifies the change to it and it will
> > automatically update existing bundles, deploy new bundles, and undeploy
> > unused bundles.  Of course, all configurations and states of the deployed
> > components are supposed to be monitored and reconfigured by a GUI console
> > which runs in an Administrator's desktop PC.
Again I think this can be done in a standard way. As a matter of fact I
am attempting this with the Provisioning Service and JMX.

Trustin is this for the ApacheDS or the MINA project?

cheers,
John