felix-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff McAffer <Jeff_McAf...@ca.ibm.com>
Subject Re: IDE Lockin? (was Re: Repository/package structure)
Date Sun, 04 Dec 2005 02:50:03 GMT
Peter Kriens <Peter.Kriens@aQute.se> wrote on 12/03/2005 06:41:02 AM:

> One thing that might solve the dichotomy between tool lock in and
> flexibility to change IDEs is to have standard file format for the
> dependencies.

Errr, the OSGi bundle manifest is standard and hey its even there already
in bundles.  It's relatively simple, there is excellent documentation :-)
and some tooling even has graphical editors and wizards for it.  If you
pick some other format then you start duplicating the info in the manifest
and have to start talking about tooling for it etc etc.

> I am using the Eclipse .classpath file in btool, but I made the parser
> pluggable so I can support other dependency files as well. If
> Felix/Apache just selects a standard format for declaring the
> dependencies, then
> it should not be that hard for Eclipse to support this format with a
> plugin.

The Eclipse .classpath file is very brittle for use in this way.  Eclipse
PDE just reads the bundle manifest file.  It completely generates the
classpath.  The .classpath file really isn't used in normal bundle
development with PDE.

Jeff