felix-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff McAffer <Jeff_McAf...@ca.ibm.com>
Subject Re: IDE Lockin? (was Re: Repository/package structure)
Date Sun, 04 Dec 2005 02:39:52 GMT
"Alan D. Cabrera" <list@toolazydogs.com> wrote on 12/03/2005 12:56:30 PM:

> I use Idea and there is a maven plugin that generates Idea projects w/
> the proper classpath setup from maven poms.  Would it be possible to
> create such a plugin for Eclipse, if one does not exist already?

Yup, I believe there is one.  This is goodness for all.  The point I am
have been trying to get across however is that this approach is not
sufficient for OSGi bundle development.  With this setup (even loading
into Eclipse) you are NOT getting the proper OSGi classpath setup.  Maven
dependencies are equivalent to OSGi Require-Bundle.  This is new for OSGi
R4 and is not at all the common way of specing dependencies in OSGi
bundles.  As I'm sure Richard will tell you, Import-Package is hands down
the standard way of doing things.  For this you need a complex dependency
resolver AND sophisticated classpath/compiler management.  This is a key
characteristic of PDE.  The classpath used at compile time is 99 44/100%
accurate (see who gets that reference) compared to the runtime classpath
on a per bundle basis.  Further, bundles can say what JRE they require
(e.g., J2SE 1.4, 1.5, Foundation 1.0, ...).  PDE manages this for you and
compiles individual bundles against the specified JREs.

Anyway, it likely sounds like I am trying to sell PDE.  I suppose I am in
a way but it is not my main goal and I certainly don't expect Felix to
lock into Eclipse or any other IDE/tooling.  I am more trying to point out
some reality so people understand that tooling and developing modularized
Java (i.e., OSGi) requires some different thought processes.