felix-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: R4 Event Admin
Date Mon, 03 Oct 2005 03:04:11 GMT
Didier Donsez wrote:

> I am not familiar with the CORBA event service
> but COS ES is (by nature) distributed and OSGi
> collocated in the same JVM and COS ES event
> could be everything (datatype any) since OSGi
> events are instances of a specified class

See www.iona.com/hyplan/vinoski/col9.pdf for information on the COS Event
Service.  See also: http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/events_tutorial.html

The COS Event Service interfaces are very simple and very general.  In many
ways, I wish that JMS had been modeled after them.  There is nothing that is
inherently distributed about the model.  One of the first implementations of
the specification was a tiny C++ version I did for embedded systems.  And
the COS Event Service does a very nice job of integrating both pull and push
models of interaction.

> I sumarize the OSGi Event Admin in the three slides available on
> http://www-adele.imag.fr/~donsez/cours/osgi.pdf#page=100

Désolé, mais moi ne parlez pas français.  Happily those three slides were in
English.  :-)

I don't believe that we need Yet Another event model.  Has the OSGi
considered either a COS Event Service model or, since this is topic based,
in-process JMS, such as Dave Walend's SomniFugi
(https://somnifugijms.dev.java.net/)?

	--- Noel