felix-dev mailing list archives

From "Bennett, Timothy (JIS - Applications)" <TimothyBenn...@jis.nashville.org>
Subject RE: Architectural usage of OSGi/Oscar
Date Fri, 28 Oct 2005 16:39:16 GMT

Understand that this particular documented approach is basically using
OSGi as a "application server" type of platform, in the sense that the
OSGi runtime will manage all services necessary to support the
server-side web platform -- including managing an embedded HTTP/servlet

Another approach that other take is to allow an existing J2EE platform
(e.g. Tomcat, Jboss, WebSphere, etc) manage an OSGi runtime container in
some sort of web application space, possibly to provide a container for
some services needed for a larger web application -- akin to how Spring
and Pico are typically used.  This is a different approach to using OSGi
in the web app domain, and the document approach above does not address
this.  I believe Martijn over at Wicket has experimented with OSGi
inside a J2EE app server, but has met some obstacles due the fact that
the Oscar 1.x classloader implementation doesn't like to play a
subservient role to the J2EE container classloader.  Correct me if I'm
off-base here.

I suppose it depends on how you want to build and deploy your web

Here at the Metro gov't of Nashville, we are planning on using OSGi as a
server-side web app runtime platform for a series of large-scale
browser-based case management systems.  We're choosing this over a more
"traditional" J2EE app server deployment strategy for a number of
reasons.  In this architecture, each case management application is in
essence it's own standalone "application server" complete with an
embedded Jetty web server/servlet container deployed as an OSGi bundle,
a host of Wicket-based web component deployed as OSGi bundles, and a
host of business components (DAO's, services, etc.) also deployed as
OSGi bundles.

View raw message