felix-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: UPnP Base Driver donation - government
Date Wed, 19 Oct 2005 17:08:10 GMT
Alex Karasulu wrote:
> francesco furfari wrote:
>> We'll be responsible for the UPnP module and we can decide for any
>> related activity? for instance if we wanted add a bundle for recording
>> the actions executed by the UPnP Generic Control Point as a script, we
>> should discuss about the opportunity with the list?
>
> You are not mandated to get approval or anything like that but letting
> others know about where you're going might be a good idea.  Every
> developer uses their own discretion on what is important to announce
> if they want feedback or others to get involved.  The whole point to
> this is the community.  If you announce what you are doing and how you
> intend to do it, then existing committers can comment along with
> non-committers that may get involved as contributors to eventually
> become committers.

Very true!

And this is why Apache projects avoid making decisions outside of the
mailing-list. Sure, it is sometimes more convenient to use IRC or other
synchronous discussion means, but when this happens, a summary must be
posted to the list and the decision made there, so that everybody is
able to understand what happens in order to get involved if they want to.

This is a problem that have to face companies or groups that donate code
to the ASF. They must transfer decisions and discussions happening in
meeting rooms to the mailing list. This is key to have a healthy
community that lasts longer than the involvement of a particular
organisation, and one of the purposes of the incubation phase.

Sylvain