felix-dev mailing list archives

From francesco furfari <francesco.furf...@isti.cnr.it>
Subject UPnP Base Driver donation - license
Date Wed, 19 Oct 2005 08:57:27 GMT
I don't know all the legal aspects behind copy-left licenses. We chosen
the LGPL because the modular aspect of the UPnP bundle fits the
purpose of Lesser GPL. The use of the library is not restricted and
limitations are only for the derivative works.
In my understanding of the Open Source world, for a SME
who wants base its business on a OS Software it is convenient the
complete participation to the community effort. That implies that any
improvement is shared with the community, in order to avoid any fork and
to continue to assure the  quality of the code, checked continuously
from all the community.
So, in my opinion, if a SME wants to maximize the benefit of any OSS it
should fully adopt an Open Source Model in its development process and
the restriction of the LGPL is not so hard in this case.
We could say that the disappeared restrictions in ASL is only a
propagandistic slogan (it isn't a criticism) for all the industries that
don't well understand the OS model.
ASF can adopt this kind of license because it pay a lot of attention to
the strength of the communities behind a project and perhaps it isn't
relevant the support of external entities.

So I don't care of the movement towards ASL, to be honest I don't
understand well the clause about the patent right, but I'm not
interested to do a business ... well but if the business find me ;)
I guess the problem is to avoid that a subsequent patent on a software
could limit the using of it, is it right? or this is only a European
problem for the "first to file" rule ...

ff

> Perhaps after evaluating some more feedback from this list, it might
be a good idea to switch the license to a BSD compatible license after
consulting with your committers and making sure all contributions are
accounted for ... just a suggestion.

Do you mean that we aren't obliged to adopt ASL in Felix?

ff