felix-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: UPnP Base Driver donation
Date Tue, 18 Oct 2005 17:53:25 GMT
Francesco Furfari wrote:

> Dear All,
> I'm pleased to announce that Domoware team intend to donate his work
> on OSGi-UPnP integration to Felix.

This is excellent Francesco: we look forward to such contributions.  As
you may already know we intend to grow this community to include
services besides just the core container.

> The Domoware team is composed by Stefano Lenzi and Matteo Demuru two
> very valuable students of the Computer Science course at Pisa
> University and me a senior engineering working at ISTI-CNR. Our work
> is currently hosted by the  ISTI institute but our contributions are
> on a voluntary basis only, you can visit it at
> http://domoware.isti.cnr.it
> The base driver is OSGi R3 compliant, the code has recently optimized
> to improve the memory footprint but we haven't
> never started a software engineering revision.

This is a very impressive application of OSGi re: the control and
programming of home appliances.  I'm already thinking of the
possibilities.  I have to read up more but I'd love to hear comments
from others with more OSGi knowledge and experience than I.  With 3
active committers working on Domoware it's more than just a code
contribution and this is much more preferable since we're about
community first.

> We would like to maintain the code in Felix community as committers if
> you accept us, and even to share our ideas
> and development projects with you.

This is what Felix is for re: sharing of ideas.  I look forward to
working with you.  Let's get more feedback from the community.  I think
Domoware and it's committers would make an excellent addition to Felix.

> We are very new to this large and  collaborative community, I'm sure
> we'll try our best  to contribute to Felix success.

We'll work together to make you comfortable with the dynamics of a large
community.  If you have any questions and/or concerns feel free to raise
them.  I'm sure several people here would help make the transition as
smooth as possible once the decision is made to accept your generous

> We look forward to receiving your opinions

Thank you Francesco ... hopefully we'll get others to chime in so we can
act decisively.

View raw message