felix-dev mailing list archives

From "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>
Subject Re: Oscar --> Felix
Date Mon, 10 Oct 2005 16:01:08 GMT
Niclas Hedhman wrote:

>The shellplugin from Oscar fails to locate bundlerepository, and the shellgui
>subsequently becomes empty.

Which versions of shellplugin are you using? I really haven't focused
too much on it yet.

>But by loading up all the the Oscar bundles (shell, shelltui, shellgui,
>bundlerepository and tablelayout) in parallel with the Felix current bundles
>(shell, shelltui and bundlerepository) things actually seems to work
>somewhat.

For Oscar 2.0 beta, I did try to modify shellplugin, etc. to work with
it, but I haven't really did any testing with them for Felix. If you are
using the bundles for Oscar 1.0.x, then you will likely run into some
difficulties.

>Not sure who owns the console though, and command "version" returns "null". I
>would guess the first one loaded (i.e. Felix one).

If you are running the console for Oscar 1.0.x with Felix, then it won't
find the version because the property name has changed. You should be
using the shell, shelltui, and bundlerepository from Felix HEAD.

>Quite happy that it is possible to use the Oscar material, while getting Felix
>up to the same level.
>
>Question; Should I keep using only the Oscar bundles, or use the mix of Oscar
>and Felix ones??

Well, for the shell and related bundles, you should probably use the
Felix ones for now. For all other bundles, you can try to use them with
Felix, but you could run into some difficulties because Felix is more
strict with how classes on the class path are exposed...thus, you might
see some class not found exceptions or the like.

If you want to expose classes on the class path, modify the property
org.osgi.framework.system.packages in lib/config.properties to include
the class path packages that you want to be exported by the system bundle.

-> richard