felix-dev mailing list archives

From "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>
Subject Re: URL Handlers Service
Date Mon, 03 Oct 2005 14:08:20 GMT
Niclas Hedhman wrote:

>Besides the fact that you will likely to get VerifyError or something similar,
>and potentially have to deal with issues in collaboration between the
>java.net and the com.sun.net classes, don't you still need the container's
>classloader to be involved?
>
>All in all, I think Classloader tricks will hit back pretty badly. They
>normally do.
>
>What happened to the application isolation spec slated for JDK1.5??
>

>Also, people who are more familiar with webapp containers... Are
>URLStreamHandlers really used in Tomcat, Weblogic, Websphere et al??
>
>Or is this a hypothetical discussion?

Even then, I think this approach would only help if everyone wanted to
use each others' stream handlers. For Felix, we wanted them isolated by
framework instance, which is possible since we know something about the
class loader and bundle details. If this were made to be completely
generic so that anyone could participate, then it would be even more
difficult to multiplex for isolation purposes.

-> richard