felix-dev mailing list archives

From "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>
Subject Re: URL Handlers Service
Date Mon, 03 Oct 2005 10:03:48 GMT
Niclas Hedhman wrote:

>At the end of the day, the contract to be fulfilled lies in the
>URLStreamHandler and its factory. You are expected to subclass the
>URLStreamHandler and override a bunch of methods, like openConnection(),
>parseURL() and toExternalForm(). The real problem has nothing much to do with
>OSGi. It just try to provide a mechanism to overcome the JVM/JDK limitations
>in a colaboration friendly manner.

Exactly. URL handling was implemented under the assumption that it would
be controlled and used by a single application. The OSGi framework
provides a collaborative environment for independent third parties. This
in and of itself would still be okay with the URL Handlers service spec,
but now we want to throw into the mix having multiple OSGi framework
instances, which conceptually each have their own URL Handlers service.

-> richard