felix-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Running Felix in a servlet engine
Date Tue, 27 Sep 2005 09:21:12 GMT
Hi all,

There's an ongoing discussion over on the Cocoon developers list about
embedding an OSGi framework in a servlet engine.

Basically, Cocoon wants to use the nifty features brought by OSGi to
allow easy managment and deployement of what we call "blocks"
(high-level application services), which will be packaged as bundles.

Running Cocoon as a set of bundles within an OSGi framework is no
problem: the CocoonServlet registers itself to an existing HttpService
and we're done. Now Cocoon is mostly used as a servlet deployed on a
servlet engine, and we cannot limit ourselves to using the engines for
which an implementation of the HttpService exists. Cocoon must be able
to run on Websphere, Weblogic, JBoss, SAP appserver, you name it.

Technically, this means that we must be able to start an OSGi framework
within a web application context, which is managed by the app server.

Is this possible? Do we need a special version of Felix that may have
some restrictions compared to a standalone framework (thinking to the
URL service)?

Thanks,
Sylvain