felix-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: [oscar] Re: [OT] Wicket + OSGi
Date Fri, 09 Sep 2005 07:39:48 GMT
On Friday 09 September 2005 14:51, Peter Kriens wrote:
> We call this the "extender" model and is used heavily in R4; for example
> declarative services use this model. Features in R4 like
> findEntryPaths, getResources, and loadClass are specifically added to
> support this model.
> The advantage is that it significantly reduces the coding for the
> application as well as making it more robust and easier to integrate with
> other apps (less knowledge in the app bundle).

Initially I was seeking to do a bundle that could be configured and what-not.

At the end of the day, I backed off and said; "Hey, the configuration will be
as complex as a tiny skeletal program..."

Now, the coding this is a matter of minutes, and yes it will not bring you own
little app up in seconds, but considering the typical time required to make
something useful, I think the flexibility/insight outweighs the relatively
low convenience (esp, since you then need to understand config files as

That is not to mention that we would end up with yet another project to
maintain, and have dependencies on and so forth...

If you have some compelling evidence of benefits, I will re-evaluate these

View raw message