felix-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Kriens <Peter.Kri...@aQute.se>
Subject Re[2]: Running Felix in a servlet engine
Date Wed, 28 Sep 2005 13:58:35 GMT
Depending on the overall architecture, the outer class loader could
load special, modified, classes for the URLStreamHandler class. I once
did something like for the System and Runtime classes. AOP!

Kind regards,

     Peter Kriens
NH> On Wednesday 28 September 2005 17:38, Richard S. Hall wrote:
>> One thing is certain, though, is that we cannot come up with a solution
>> that will work for legacy apps that assume that they are the ones to
>> call the "set factory" method; code will have to be modified to use
>> whatever solution we come up with.

NH> Well, it also depends largely on how the existing owner of the URL/Content
NH> handler factory is organized.

NH> If ContainerX sets a stream handler factory, which only deals with its own
NH> problem domain, and does not provide an extension mechanism then that
NH> ContainerX must be modified to be supported.

NH> If ContainerY provides a extension mechanism, then we could create a solution
NH> for ContainerY, without modifying ContainerY, thanks to the modularity of
NH> OSGi itself.

NH> I don't think it is likely that generic solutions for the short term will be
NH> feasible, mostly for political reasons.

NH> Cheers
NH> Niclas

Peter Kriens                              Mob +33633746480
9C, Avenue St. Drézéry                    Tel +33467542167
34160 Beaulieu, France                    Tel +15123514821
                                          Tel +33870447986
AOL,Yahoo, Skype pkriens                  ICQ 255570717

View raw message