felix-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff McAffer <Jeff_McAf...@ca.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Mavenization
Date Tue, 30 Aug 2005 13:25:36 GMT
Daniel Fagerstrom <danielf@nada.kth.se> wrote on 08/29/2005 04:42:08 PM:
> Brett Porter wrote:
> > On 8/28/05, Jeff McAffer <Jeff_McAffer@ca.ibm.com> wrote:
> >>Again FWIW, PDE uses the actual OSGi resolver to determine the
> >>compile-time classpath based on the available bundles.  In this way
the
> >>compile time setup looks exactly like the runtime setup.
> >
> > We can plug in other resolvers, so this might be an option too.
>
> We need to handle dependencies while building a bundle, for resolving
> dependencies while downloading a bundles from repository and while
> deploying the bundle into our OSGi framework. If we can use the same
> resolver and the same (possibly augumented) descriptors in all these
> three cases it will simplify and streamline bundle development and usage

> a lot.

Yes. One of the design points we put in a couple of releases ago was an
explicit separate State/Resolver API that tooling and installers can use
to model and explore prospective configurations of bundles.  This is the
exact resolver that the framework uses.  No claims that it is perfect but
check out org.eclipse.osgi.service.resolver.  It covers many usecases.

Jeff