felix-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <brett.por...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Mavenization
Date Sun, 28 Aug 2005 01:45:27 GMT
Hi,

On 8/28/05, Jeff McAffer <Jeff_McAffer@ca.ibm.com> wrote:
> Eclipse uses a
> very simple structure of one Eclipse project per bundle and building one
> project/bundle at a time and driving the build from the bundle metadata
> (e.g., manifest.mf and build.properties).  I'm not sure how this maps to a
> M2 project (if there is such a thing) or any other kind of project but so
> far simple => happy.

This sounds very similar. Maven produces one bundle (or jar, war, ear,
etc) per project, and this is primarily for simplicity within that
project. You can specify dependencies among those projects, and group
them together to build in sequence or aggregate if necessary.

> There is one issue.  OSGi's Import-Package mechanism makes it very easy to
> setup circularities between bundles.  The cirucularity can be immediate or
> via a long chain of bundle dependencies.  The nature of the cycle can
> theoretically change from build to build as different (versions of)
> bundles are involved.  To date we have been relatively lucky in avoiding
> these (we mostly use Require-Bundle) and where needed we can break cycles
> using local "shell jars".

I'm still learning OSGi, so I'm not sure how Import-Package resolves
to a particular bundle version. Maven behaves more like Require-Bundle
appears to, where you list out your dependencies and their version(s).
It will detect at build time if there is a cycle in those dependencies
and can either warn or fail based on that. The resolution to that
would be the same.

Cheers,
Brett