felix-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <brett.por...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Felix SVN trunk root
Date Wed, 24 Aug 2005 01:34:43 GMT
Before rushing in to this, let's learn some lessons from the Directory
and Commons projects which did this.

It is impossible to checkout/update Directory in one go without
getting all the branches, tags and other such things. Commons works
around it with externals, but that has its drawbacks because you are
forced to pick a protocol (https), for example.

Unless you think people will check them out as individual subprojects,
I'd recommend not going there yet. This is what the subversion
developers had in mind when they suggested this structure. If you only
intend for people to work on them completely separately, then it is
probably fine.

I've found a top level trunk works just fine with interrelated but
individually release components (it just means the structure is not
the same when tagged/branched, but you are going to have the
separation if you go the other way anyway).

Happy to hear other suggestions on this - but my thoughts long term
are to allow m2 to handle the SCM operations (it already can, really),
and let it checkout your multiple projects from the correct roots,
giving you a friendlier local filesystem structure.

> Bennett, Timothy (JIS - Applications) wrote:
> >
> >Why wait?
> >

> No need to wait let's just go with it and adapt (sense and respond).
> Thank God for SVN.
> We can create the tags/branches/trunk structure for all versionable
> projects sure.
> Alex

View raw message