felix-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Fagerstrom <dani...@nada.kth.se>
Subject Re: Mavenization
Date Mon, 29 Aug 2005 20:42:08 GMT
Brett Porter wrote:
> On 8/28/05, Jeff McAffer <Jeff_McAffer@ca.ibm.com> wrote:
>>I'll have to read up on the scope stuff.  More generally though I am
>>intrigued by Maven resolving the dependencies.  How does it know about the
>>OSGi dependency model?  For example, Import-Package and Fragments.  The
>>resolution of those dependencies is really quite complex.
> It doesn't right now. I don't know how Import-Package and Fragment
> work exactly (some digging around only led me to basic tutorials, I
> probably need to have a look at the specification). I'm still learning
> OSGi.
> If these dependencies need to be resolved at build time, I have some
> ideas about how it could be handled, but I'd need to learn more before
> I think more about it, but...
>>Again FWIW, PDE uses the actual OSGi resolver to determine the
>>compile-time classpath based on the available bundles.  In this way the
>>compile time setup looks exactly like the runtime setup.
> We can plug in other resolvers, so this might be an option too.

We need to handle dependencies while building a bundle, for resolving
dependencies while downloading a bundles from repository and while
deploying the bundle into our OSGi framework. If we can use the same
resolver and the same (possibly augumented) descriptors in all these
three cases it will simplify and streamline bundle development and usage
a lot.

At some point we should also take continuos integration with Gump into
account. With Gump the repository lookup of a certain version would be
replaced with SVN or CVS lookup of the latest version.

View raw message