felix-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Fagerstrom <dani...@nada.kth.se>
Subject Adding bundles
Date Thu, 25 Aug 2005 21:59:54 GMT
Was: Re: kxml.jar

Didier Donsez wrote:
> Daniel Fagerstrom a écrit :
>> Didier Donsez wrote:
<snip/>
>>> http://www-adele.imag.fr/~donsez/dev/osgi/metadataparser/readme.html
>>> and for the demo
>>> http://www-adele.imag.fr/~donsez/dev/osgi/metadataparsertest/readme.html
>>>
>>> This bundle could join the Felix code base.
>> How is it related to the metatype service?
>>
> No relationship.
> But I used the MetadataParser to quickly implement a simple Metatype
> service.
> The MetadataParser parses the XML document associated to the service.
> http://www-adele.imag.fr/~donsez/dev/osgi/metatype/readme.html

If your Metatype service is part of the offering ;) I think it would
make a good addition to Felix.

                  --- o0o ---

But before we start to add bundles to Felix I think we need to discuss
what policy we should have for adding bundles. Here are my opinions:

* As it is part of our charter to "implement, document, maintain, and
support standard OSGi R4 services", we should in most cases accept code
contributions for standard services as initial code base (as long as the
legal issues are solved of course). For some services there might be
several different approaches for the services, in such cases we need of
course more discussion.

* Committers can add whatever bundle they want to their sandbox.

* Now we come to the complicated part: non standard bundles. One of the
cool things with our project is that we have the goal to "provide a
focal point for the open-source OSGi community to develop next
generation enhancements to the core framework and act as a conduit for
the open-source community to the OSGi Alliance". Fullfilling that
requires IMO some focus, we should not let our project become a dumping
ground for various half baked ideas and one man shows.

IMO a non standard bundle should only be accepted if it is a community
effort, i.e. if a couple of community members takes part in discussions,
design and implementation. We should also have vote about accepting the
bundle.

The above might sound somewhat harsh but we have some rather bad
experience from the Cocoon project on letting people add modules
(blocks) whenever they feel like. After a number of years we have the
following situation: http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/blocks/.
Around 50 blocks of which only a handfull are actively maintained by the
community. It is not that easy for a new user to evaluate which of all
these blocks that they can rely on. And categorizing and removing blocks
leads to community friction.

So IMO we should only add a bundle after that we have made sure it has
real long term community support.

What do you think?

/Daniel