felix-dev mailing list archives

From Martijn Dashorst <mart...@dashorst.dds.nl>
Subject Re: Wicket and Oscar
Date Tue, 16 Aug 2005 08:33:06 GMT
Richard S. Hall wrote:

> This sounds like a tricky situation. The difficulty here is that we
> cannot have two entities thinking they are in control of class

Yep, and I think this is not a particular Wicket/Oscar problem but more
webapplication/oscar problem. It arises mainly in Wicket, because
creating custom components and putting them into bundles is sooooo nice.
Wicket is a web application framework, and you'll probably be introduced
to Wicket sooner or later by Timothy Bennett, if I'm not mistaken ;-).

> I am confused about deserialization. Are the objects being serialized
> from bundles? If so, how does Wicket find the classes in the first
> place? Are the deserialized classes also [or only] on the class path?

What I've done in my webapplication is create (Wicket) components that
reside in bundles. We use Oscar to get access to those components, as
they just provide a service. So the webapplication itself only knows the
interfaces and doesn't know where it gets its objects from. The same
goes for Wicket. Wicket gets the components delivered by Oscar.

I'll try to invest some time in creating a demo app later today.

> Is there any hook for extending Wicket to use a different class loader
> when deserializing?

The application server takes that out of the hands of Wicket. Wicket
doesn't have a say in whether or not things will be serialized, and
deserialized. The server takes care of that responsibility.

Currently the only solution I can see is to put a proxy in between,
which tries to resolve the objects using the Oscar classloaders.

> Is it possible to somehow make serialization/deserialization a process
> control through a bundle/service, so that everything occurs inside of
> Oscar as opposed to the mix and match approach currently being used?

That could be a novel approach, but I think we'd need to alter the
servlet spec for that to happen ;-).

Is there a requirement that Oscar can't use different classloading
strategies? For instance, use the classloader of the application server
instead of its own?

Martijn