felix-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <Ralph.Go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: What about Felix for the name?
Date Tue, 09 Aug 2005 05:49:48 GMT
Thanks. I have a feeling that that one won't be a top choice though.
I'd also worry that it would tend to get shortened to just "Felix"
which, of course, would be a problem.

I was thinking.  Besides being another name for the academy award or one
half of the odd couple, Oscar is also a type of fish. Its latin name is
"Astronotus ocellatus".   Astronotus is the genus for Oscars, so that
coulld be appropriate. On the other hand, my dictionary says that
ocellatus comes from oculus which means "an eye" which is also somewhat

Oscar - Astronotus ocellatus ( Astro =star, notus = back, ocellatus
=spotted as with little eyes)

The most likely conflict that could occur with Astronotus or ocellatus
is with some fish software somewhere - and that isn't very likely.
Atronotus reminds me of Astronaut....

Now Oscars are found in the Amazon River basin, from the Orinoco River
to the Rio Paraguay, throughout Venezuela, Guyana, and Paraguay.
Orinoco has a nice ring to it too.  Ah, but apparently that name is
already used for a wireless access point.

Another thought.  Oscar is also the grouch on the muppets.  So we could
also use that as a basis. Well, maybe not.

Just trying to be helpful, but this is an awful lot of fun.

Out of curiosity, how was Oscar named in the first place?

Ed Anuff wrote:

>Good suggestions
>+1 for felix-osgi since it's both distinctive and descriptive.

View raw message