felix-dev mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@odoko.co.uk>
Subject Re: Oscar, please meet Eclipse
Date Wed, 03 Aug 2005 21:27:31 GMT
Richard S. Hall wrote:
> Mike Milinkovich wrote:
>
>> Can you provide some more details regarding the creation of a unified
>> OSGi
>> platform? What other projects (Knoplerfish?) are participating here?
>> AFAIK,
>> there has been no attempt to interact with or invite Eclipse
>> participation.
>>

> Well, Oscar has existed for nearly five years now...we could have
> collaborated when Eclipse started to move to OSGi. ;-)
>
> Seriously, though, this whole Apache OSGi project happened kind of
> quickly and even then there was pretty strong community support. There
> have been offline discussions with KF about how the two communities can
> collaborate, but concrete details have yet to emerge.
>
>> Apache and Eclipse (and ObjectWeb for that matter) have a pretty good
>> track
>> record at co-operating at many different levels. Why it would serve the
>> interests of Apache, Eclipse, ObjectWeb, OSGi or the greater open source
>> community to have directly competing projects is beyond me. What are the
>> inhibitors to Apache using or referencing the Eclipse implementation
>> and its
>> related tooling (which itself is a significant piece of work)?
>>

> But this direct competition has lead to growth of OSGi and its community
> of supporters, so there apparently is some value in it.

Most definitely. Cocoon is considering OSGi largely because there are
three potentially usable open source OSGi implementations. Had there
been only one, it would have been a source of anxiety - dependency on a
single external force. (Cocoon has already suffered from this - it based
itself upon Apache Avalon.)

Regards, Upayavira