felix-dev mailing list archives

From "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>
Subject Re: Oscar, please meet Eclipse
Date Wed, 03 Aug 2005 21:23:29 GMT
Mike Milinkovich wrote:

>Can you provide some more details regarding the creation of a unified OSGi
>platform? What other projects (Knoplerfish?) are participating here? AFAIK,
>there has been no attempt to interact with or invite Eclipse participation.

Well, Oscar has existed for nearly five years now...we could have
collaborated when Eclipse started to move to OSGi. ;-)

Seriously, though, this whole Apache OSGi project happened kind of
quickly and even then there was pretty strong community support. There
have been offline discussions with KF about how the two communities can
collaborate, but concrete details have yet to emerge.

>Apache and Eclipse (and ObjectWeb for that matter) have a pretty good track
>record at co-operating at many different levels. Why it would serve the
>interests of Apache, Eclipse, ObjectWeb, OSGi or the greater open source
>community to have directly competing projects is beyond me. What are the
>inhibitors to Apache using or referencing the Eclipse implementation and its
>related tooling (which itself is a significant piece of work)?

But this direct competition has lead to growth of OSGi and its community
of supporters, so there apparently is some value in it.

-> richard