felix-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Adding bundles
Date Fri, 26 Aug 2005 07:45:39 GMT
On Friday 26 August 2005 05:59, Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:
> It is not that easy for a new user to evaluate which of all
> these blocks that they can rely on. And categorizing and removing blocks
> leads to community friction.
>
> So IMO we should only add a bundle after that we have made sure it has
> real long term community support.

Yes. We should learn from experiences elsewhere in Apache, such as Cocoon and
the commons projects.
But sometimes I am 'confused' that small useful code pieces "that just works"
are often discarded as "not maintained" and "should not be used", which IMHO
instead leads to "re-inventing the wheels" more often than necessary.

The more modular and scaled down a codebase is, the less important it is that
there is a healthy community doing active development on it on a daily basis.
Small codebases have less bugs, and if any users can find a bug quickly, and
if there is a good feedback channel in place, it would not be a problem,
IMVHO.

Now, that said, I would also like to take this opportunity to suggest that we
could instead have "tools" and "infrastructure" to "publish" bundles that are
available from a development point of view from elsewhere. I don't know the
principles behind the Oscar Bundle Repository, but we could work on that
principle and perhaps look into;
  *  Central discovery of N x OBRs, and/or
  *  RDF to publish and search for bundles across distributed sets of OBRs
  *  Meta information to classify bundles along various axis.

and so on...

Bottom line of that;  Allow one-man shows "elsewhere", and Felix community
helps such efforts to reach a larger audience. For the users, it means go to
Felix and from there they can search for any bundles, in any market segment,
and over time I think such system of repositories would be an enormous help
compared to the current Google searches.

Cheers
Niclas