felix-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Tooling
Date Wed, 24 Aug 2005 04:45:55 GMT
On Wednesday 24 August 2005 11:55, Mike Milinkovich wrote:
> All of us at Eclipse recognize that there are many people who prefer to
> not use IDEs. The point of Jeff's post was not to encourage anyone to
> move to GUI-based tools who don't want them.

Yes. I am very happy with Jeff's and your response.

> As external observers, it seems that a sensible alternative to
> writing YAPI (yet another plug in) may be to evaluate the PDE to see if
> can address your requirements.

Ok, I agree on that.

> It seems quite possible the Felix team may draw a distinction between the
> tools that you want to use within the team for Felix development (likely
> non-GUI, based on your comments)

This is not for me to decide. I am just high-lighting past experiences using
IDEs in Apache-style collaboration efforts.

> and the tools which you would like to make
> available to your consumers (likely GUI, based on the "Oscar's Studio"
> thread) to help encourage adoption.

Yes, good tools of both kinds are essential to adoption. Considering the
diversity in this community, I am sure we will get there in due time.

View raw message