felix-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Felix SVN trunk root
Date Tue, 23 Aug 2005 04:24:10 GMT
On Tuesday 23 August 2005 03:53, Bennett, Timothy (JIS - Applications) wrote:

> So maybe we need a *framework* directory in the root of the Felix trunk,
> and the all of Richard's code moved under that directory.  WDYT? Maybe a
> different directory name?  Just something to differentiate it from the
> tools type of source I'll be committing.

I agree. (see you have gone ahead already :o) )

> In fact, I envision we'll need other directories under "tools".  One for
> the maven-osgi-plugin, and at least one other for the work that Andreas
> is doing on the Eclipse plugin for Oscar (I guess renamed now as Felix
> Studio).  Maybe in the future, we might have non-core, non-framework
> services and bundles that we'll decided to version control that will
> have their own product directory under the trunk root.

I think Richard is right to make the "framework" extremely thin, and you add
what you need. IMVHO, I would like to see a separation at 'root' level to
something like;

  0.  Tools (ant/maven/other thingies needed to build/test/validate/release
      the rest)
  1.  Framework.
  2.  Core bundles (to enable framework to provide an interface)
  3.  Standard bundles (for the services specified in the OSGi spec.)
  4.  Bundle Library (everything else we actively supports)
  5.  Site.
  6.  Laboratory/Sandbox. (experiments and premature code)

Simple, clean and straight forward.
I am not so happy with a flat structure of projects sitting side by side, with
little indication what is required, optional and ignorable. I don't think it
would be a problem with M2 either.

View raw message