felix-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Please pick a name for this project
Date Wed, 17 Aug 2005 04:11:29 GMT
On Wednesday 17 August 2005 03:47, Richard S. Hall wrote:
> Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> >This is somewhat not inline with the standard procedures at Apache.
> > Although there are both valid exceptions (standards) and exceptions for
> > various less obvious reasons (mistakes, over looked, changed homes, etc).
> >
> >I think the Incubator PMC could give some guidance whether org.apache.osgi
> > or org.apache.felix can/should/must be used.
> >
> >Personally, I would favour a solution where the Felix implementation sits
> > in org.apache.felix and bundles are placed in org.apache.osgi
>
> I think org.apache.osgi.framework makes a lot of sense too.
>
> This was specifically discussed some time ago on this mailing list.
>
> In the end, I can go either way.

I am thinking a little bit "Brand Management" when I propose org.apache.felix,
instead of org.apache.osgi.framework. The latter has no indication of where
the code is "tied to", whereas a http://felix.apache.org will get a user
straight to the source.
At all times pushing the Felix brand name as the Premier OSGi implementation
will be important, and every little bit helps.
Bundles OTOH, will not be Felix dependent, hence the detach in namespace.
However, I am not sure whether this project intends to host bundle
subprojects or not.

Cheers
Niclas