felix-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Offermans <marcel.offerm...@luminis.nl>
Subject Re: Oscar, please meet Eclipse
Date Fri, 05 Aug 2005 09:41:32 GMT
Hello Jeff,

On Friday 05 August 2005 05:20, Jeff McAffer wrote:

> Yes, you are looking in the wrong place.  Equinox is an incubator for new
> runtime technology for he Eclipse Platform.  Two years ago it was the
> place that we started the Eclipse on OSGi work.  As of Dec 2003 the OSGi
> work "graduated" and was moved into the main Eclipse project.  Phase 2 of
> Equinox then started about a year ago to investigate further OSGi
> modularity changes (e.g., RFC70 and 79) among other things.  Sometime late
> last year that code also graduated and was absorbed into the main code
> stream.  http://eclipse.org/osgi indicates the forums for OSGi-related
> interaction at eclipse.org.  Note that the vast majority of the
> development interaction happens in Bugzilla in the Platform/Runtime
> component.

> Fact is fact.  We have done poorly at highlighting OSGi and facilitating
> community development.  This characteristic was noted at the World
> Congress last year yet we still were distracted with all the R4 work etc.
> As mentioned, the 3.2 plan calls for us to rectify the situation.

We always test our OSGi applications both under OSCAR and Knopflerfish and
since you posted so extensively on the Eclipse OSGi runtime, I decided to try
that too (I did so when 3.0 was under development but could not find any good
documentation back then). Unfortunately, I am having a difficult time finding
documentation again. I've looked at the link you provided, I've tried
searching the whole Eclipse site, I've tried searching the Eclipse 3.1 help
files, but I cannot find any API documentation on the EclipseStarter class
which I need to launch the framework. I want to configure it to start some
bundles from code.

Please take this as constructive criticism, because I do like to add a third
framework to our testing environment, it's just that I'm having a hard time
setting it up.

Greetings, Marcel