felix-dev mailing list archives

From "Mike Milinkovich" <mike.milinkov...@eclipse.org>
Subject RE: Oscar, please meet Eclipse
Date Wed, 03 Aug 2005 20:36:35 GMT

> If Eclipse would be willing to contribute to the
> development of a unified OSGi platform within the ASF, that
> could be one immediately viable approach.

Can you provide some more details regarding the creation of a unified OSGi
platform? What other projects (Knoplerfish?) are participating here? AFAIK,
there has been no attempt to interact with or invite Eclipse participation.

As I am sure you're aware, Eclipse's OSGi project already has a sizeable
product quality code base, community, and user group. Would it not make just
as much sense to bring your contributions to Eclipse as the other way
around? Or alternatively re-use the work that has already been done at

Apache and Eclipse (and ObjectWeb for that matter) have a pretty good track
record at co-operating at many different levels. Why it would serve the
interests of Apache, Eclipse, ObjectWeb, OSGi or the greater open source
community to have directly competing projects is beyond me. What are the
inhibitors to Apache using or referencing the Eclipse implementation and its
related tooling (which itself is a significant piece of work)?

Mike Milinkovich
Executive Director,
Eclipse Foundation, Inc.
Office: 613-224-9461 x228