felix-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: [proposal] Oscar OSGi Project
Date Mon, 25 Jul 2005 16:37:32 GMT
On Jul 25, 2005, at 8:31 AM, Richard S. Hall wrote:

> I can't speak for everyone involved, but would have assumed that
> everyone knew that Oscar was hosted on ObjectWeb. I cannot fully claim
> to be aware of what should or should not go into a project proposal.
>
> Further, the issue here isn't necessarily a "move" of Oscar as much as
> a seeding with Oscar code. Out of my own interest in keeping the Oscar
> legacy in tact, I would prefer to think of it as a move.

If the name stays as Oscar, then it is obviously a move.

> I am the only contributor to the Oscar core code. My work on Oscar
> long pre-dates my involvement with ObjectWeb.

The website says

    Other contributors

     * Rob Walker from Ascert.
     * Stephane Frenot from l'INSA de Lyon.
     * Humberto Cervantes from Universidad Autonoma
Metropolitana-Iztapalapa.
     * Didier Donsez from LSR-IMAG.
     * Stephane Chomat from LSR-IMAG.
     * Michel D'Hooge from Trialog.

and the changes file at

     http://oscar.objectweb.org/changes.html

includes quite a few additional contributors.  Are you saying that
none of those people contributed anything significant enough to be
separately copyrightable as a derivative or new work?  Or are you
saying that you have a signed document from all significant
contributors that assigns copyright to you?

> The main reason to start an Apache OSGi project is to further the
> support of OSGi technology. Apache carries more weight than ObjectWeb
> and this will be helpful in influencing the future, such as JSR 277.

That simply isn't sufficient justification.  Apache projects can use
BSD licensed code from anywhere.  BSD-licensed projects only need to
come to apache.org when the existing home is either unfriendly to
collaborative development (e.g., preventing new contributors from
joining in the project) or insufficiently neutral to support the
potential set of contributors (e.g., requiring a nonprofit foundation
environment).  There may be other reasons, but those are the ones
we normally see.

If Alex had used any of the existing project proposals as a guide,

    http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/
    http://jakarta.apache.org/site/newproject.html

then our requirements for accepting new projects would have been
clearer from the start.

....Roy