felix-dev mailing list archives

From "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>
Subject Re: JSR 277
Date Fri, 29 Jul 2005 12:12:43 GMT
I think what Niclas says here is pretty accurate. Ultimately, JSR 277 is
just a proposal at this stage, so it is impossible to tell exactly what
it will encompass, since it hasn't been defined yet. However, it is
clear that its intention is to cover almost the exact same ground as
OSGi, minus the service layer.

-> richard

Niclas Hedhman wrote:

>On Friday 29 July 2005 05:23, Yalcin Akdogan wrote:
>>What are the differences and overlaps between OSGi R4 and JSR 277
>>Modularisation? Is there any information about it.
>Nothing more than what is in the JSR, i.e. there is overlap in the concern
>space, but it is not the JSR's concern to list the overlaps and differences.
>I suspect that end of the day, there will be various differernces in just
>about every area;
> * Scope
> * Classloading requirements
> * Resource discovery
> * Service concept and/or standard services.
> * Module Packaging
> * Platform requirements
> * Other
>And at this date, noone can tell what those changes will finally become.
>(Historical comparison; I was part of the JSR-78, and the Spec Lead was
>driving that development very hard (6 months), had a complete reference
>implementation and specification draft ready on day 1, yet the input of the
>EG probably modified the both the scope and the codebase by 30%, and the
>final spec was quite different from the initial Spec draft and RI codebase.)
>But if you look at the vote comments;
>Some of EC members are really pushing OSGi R4 as the seeding for the
>specification, even from unexpected J2EE giants IBM and BEA. This is likely
>to be translated into a fairly OSGi centric view of the entire JSR.
>Personally, I like the IBM comment;
>Whilst we recognize the need for some changes at a Java language level, the
>long timeline to JSR-277 delivery as part of J2SE 7.0 is a concern. By
>building as much as possible on existing technologies, the Expert Group could
>look to enable a phased adoption style to encourage users to start addressing
>Java modularization requirements now rather than them waiting until the
>completed JSR-277 solution is available.
>which is an strong suggestion that they want to see rapid adoption of R4 into
>the J2SE, perhaps already in JDK 1.6, or alternatively as an extension
>package asap (similar to the Swing approach).

View raw message