felix-dev mailing list archives

From "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>
Subject Re: [proposal] Oscar OSGi Project
Date Mon, 25 Jul 2005 18:39:41 GMT

Thank you for your support (of me and the project).

My goals have always been to do good work and to get OSGi and the work I
do around it in front of as many people as possible.

My work with OSGi started in December of 2000 while I was an assistant
professor in Berlin; back then very few people cared about what I was
doing...except long-time user Rob Walker. :-)

Back in the early days I was just releasing Oscar on my own web page,
but eventually moved Source Forge in July 2001. I ended up moving to
France to continue my work on Oscar and around OSGi and ended up moving
Oscar to ObjectWeb in February of 2004. I had moved home from France
last year and for most of the past year I funded my work on Oscar and in
the OSGi Alliance out of my personal savings. Now I am back working half
time in France, so I am back to only partially funding my work. :-) I
really care about this stuff.

I am excited by the possibility of getting a chance to keep the momentum
moving forward. The interest expressed by the Apache community since the
announcement of the project has been practically overwhelming, let alone
the Oscar community and OSGi community at large.

Thanks again.

-> richard

Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> Le 25 juil. 05, à 19:47, Richard S. Hall a écrit :
>> ...My discussion with various Apache people led to my understanding
>> that there was interest in starting an Apache OSGi project. I agreed
>> to participate....
> And there is indeed a *lot* of interest. The Cocoon team is looking at
> OSGI very seriously, we have implemented some OSGI-based stuff
> already, and for us the timing couldn't be better for an OSGI
> implementation to come to the ASF, as our main concern was having to
> depend on an "external" library.
> Judging from several conversations last week at ApacheCon, I think
> many of us are very thankful for your decision to continue here the
> work that you started with Oscar. Some things might need
> clarification, but I'm sure many people at the ASF are eager to see
> this moving forward.
> If having more sponsoring members makes a difference, I'd be happy to
> be added to the list.
> -Bertrand

View raw message