felix-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: JSR 277
Date Fri, 29 Jul 2005 03:41:00 GMT
On Friday 29 July 2005 05:23, Yalcin Akdogan wrote:

> What are the differences and overlaps between OSGi R4 and JSR 277
> Modularisation? Is there any information about it.

Nothing more than what is in the JSR, i.e. there is overlap in the concern
space, but it is not the JSR's concern to list the overlaps and differences.

I suspect that end of the day, there will be various differernces in just
about every area;
 * Scope
 * Classloading requirements
 * Resource discovery
 * Service concept and/or standard services.
 * Module Packaging
 * Platform requirements
 * Other

And at this date, noone can tell what those changes will finally become.
(Historical comparison; I was part of the JSR-78, and the Spec Lead was
driving that development very hard (6 months), had a complete reference
implementation and specification draft ready on day 1, yet the input of the
EG probably modified the both the scope and the codebase by 30%, and the
final spec was quite different from the initial Spec draft and RI codebase.)

But if you look at the vote comments;
http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/results?id=3238

Some of EC members are really pushing OSGi R4 as the seeding for the
specification, even from unexpected J2EE giants IBM and BEA. This is likely
to be translated into a fairly OSGi centric view of the entire JSR.

Personally, I like the IBM comment;
<quote>
Whilst we recognize the need for some changes at a Java language level, the
long timeline to JSR-277 delivery as part of J2SE 7.0 is a concern. By
building as much as possible on existing technologies, the Expert Group could
look to enable a phased adoption style to encourage users to start addressing
Java modularization requirements now rather than them waiting until the
completed JSR-277 solution is available.
</quote>

which is an strong suggestion that they want to see rapid adoption of R4 into
the J2SE, perhaps already in JDK 1.6, or alternatively as an extension
package asap (similar to the Swing approach).

Cheers
Niclas