felix-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: [proposal] Oscar OSGi Project
Date Mon, 25 Jul 2005 18:43:22 GMT
On Tuesday 26 July 2005 01:47, Richard S. Hall wrote:

Roy, are you hinting that Incubation has not started, and may be turned down?
Or is it talks towards graduation?

> There is no doubt about it, if I stop working on
> Oscar, it will die.

Many people want to see Oscar thrive and succeed. The fact that Richard
recognizes the fragility of his own position, should give him all possible
kudos.

We can detect movement towards OSGi within the ASF from Cocoon, Directory, and
possibly Maven. I suspect a few other projects are discussing the possibility
too, especially if Oscar becomes a reality at the ASF.

Richard is here to learn the Apache Way and make himself redundant in the
longer-term :o)  which is good for everyone involved. Several people at ASF
is interested in becoming more involved in OSGi core development, learn the
internal tricks and be part of the OSGi specification process. We can all do
that by "leaving" ASF and join Richard, or he (and others) can join this
large and joyful gang on well-proven grounds.

This is Incubation, if it doesn't work out the project can be terminated and
continue elsewhere.

Also important note to remember in respect to contributions;
Richard mentioned that we are talking Oscar Core, and not the various bundles
that has been contributed via the Oscar Bundle Repository. Also, we are
talking about Oscar 2.0 which "doesn't really exist", at least not in terms
of OSGi specification, since the R4 spec is not out yet. So, theoretically we
can't work on the codebase, since there is no specification to implement, or
be more precise, only Richard can work on it and not show it publicly. IMHO,
this is also an issue that we need to address to some extent. What can and
can not be done?

For the sake of perfection; Let's seek explicit grants from the individuals in
question. After all, if you are willing to hand out a chunk of code over
mail, the Apache ICLA shouldn't be much of a problem.

We will also need to see what comes out of the OSGi Alliance in respect to the
R4 specification and licensing terms for independent implementations in
general and ASF/ALv2 in particular.

Further down the road I envision ASF, possibly together with Eclipse
Foundation, stepping up to the OSGi Alliance, and "help them" become more
OpenSource friendly, as these two implementations will probably take a lion's
share of "the market". But this is way down the road.

Cheers
Niclas