falcon-dev mailing list archives

From Ajay Yadava <ajayyad...@apache.org>
Subject [DISCUSS] Apache Falcon 1.0
Date Thu, 01 Sep 2016 14:55:53 GMT
Hello everyone,

Now that 0.10 has been successfully released, thanks to heroic efforts of
Balu, I think it is time to start discussion on our long pending 1.0
release :) I specifically want to discuss the following items.

*Scope / Change Threshold for calling it 1.0*

We need to decide on the bare minimum changes to call it 1.0  I know at
least 2 views on this in the community

   1. First view is that 1.0 is all about API stability, Once we have
   stabilized the existing API, we can call it 1.0. There are already some
   changes committed to trunk like a new shell, moving post processing to
   server side, REST API Revamp and some more lifecycle changes which will
   definitely come in 1.0 This should be enough to do a meaningful 1.0 release.
   2. Another view is that we need to have lot of marketable features and
   new capabilities to call it 1.0 so that we can publicize it enough and ask
   audience to reconsider falcon even if they found Apache Falcon short for
   their use cases.

Please chime in with your thoughts :)

*Call for Volunteer*

As discussed in last developer sync up, Pragya communicated to me that she
has very high work load at her office and will not be able to take out time
for release activities. If there are any committers who haven't yet done a
release and want to volunteer for 1.0, then please reply to this thread,
else I will assume the role of Release Manager for 1.0. Many release
activities require karma available only to committers, hence only
committers can volunteer.

Regards
Ajay Yadava