falcon-dev mailing list archives

From Pallavi Rao <pallavi....@inmobi.com>
Subject Re: Democratizing Release Notes
Date Tue, 30 Aug 2016 08:46:54 GMT
This is nice!

Don't think we can mandate that field as not all JIRAs will need an entry
in Release Notes. Examples are falcon regression test suite updates, UT
changes, documentation updates, bugs reported that turn out to be usage
issues.

On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 2:09 PM, Srikanth Sundarrajan <sriksun@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> +1. Would it help if we made the release notes field mandatory for marking
> the jira closed ?
> RegardsSrikanth Sundarrajan
>
> > From: ajayyadava@apache.org
> > Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2016 08:35:50 +0000
> > Subject: Democratizing Release Notes
> > To: dev@falcon.apache.org
> >
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > Continuing on our effort to automating change log and release notes, I am
> > happy to share with you that we now have the ability to automatically
> > generate release notes through Apache Yetus.
> >
> > *How does it work?*
> > We have introduced a new field in JIRA - Release Notes. Every contributor
> > needs to add release notes for their important / backward-incompatible
> > changes / new features. Later, RMs can generate release notes using
> Apache
> > Yetus. Many projects like Hadoop etc. have already been doing it this
> way.
> > We have also been using Apache Yetus to generate the release notes
> >
> > *Why?*
> > Generating release notes had been one tedious task which the RMs(Release
> > Managers) had to do manually at the end of the release by going through
> all
> > JIRAs and writing notes for them. Often, RM may not even be the best
> person
> > to write release notes for the feature.
> >
> > *Note to Contributors*
> > Please add release notes for any important / backward-incompatible
> changes
> > / new features that you add.
> >
> > *Note to Committers*
> > Please don't commit PRs for important / backward-incompatible changes /
> new
> > features without release notes.
> >
> > I will update the "how to release" wiki with the steps for RMs, In the
> > meantime, you can consult the documentation for Apache Yetus here
> > <https://yetus.apache.org/documentation/0.3.0/>
> >
> > Regards
> > Ajay Yadava

receipt.